Re: xtt/freetype grumpy

Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr> writes:

> In 4.1, you could load them simultaneously, in which case the first
> one loaded would be the one that manages TrueType fonts.  In 4.2,
> due to an accidental name clash, the loader will not allow you to
> load both.
>
> In 4.3, if two modules register for the same type of fonts, a
> warning will be printed to the log.
>
> Hope this explains things,

Yep. That's what I figured.

Since it's going to cause people's X configurations to break now,
maybe the configuration script shoud explicitly force a selection. I
think you'd do something like this in xserver-xfree86.templates :

Template: xserver-xfree86/config/xtt_versus_freetype
Type: select
Choices: freetype, xtt
 The freetype and xtt modules should not be enabled at the same
 time, as they are incompatible.  The freetype module should be used for
 Western languages and anti-aliased font support; the xtt module should be
 used for East Asian character set support (specifically, for CID-keyed
 fonts).
 .
 Please select one or the other.

I think I made it work, after a fashion, but I don't think anyone
would want my nasty patch (I'm certainly not installing on my
system!).

Russell