Need Help with X

Greetings.  I'm having some trouble getting X windows to work properly on my
Toshiba Satellite 335CDS.  So far, the man pages, README's and FAQ's have not
shown me the light.  :)

The first problem is that the resolution does not seem to be 800x600, as the
fonts look really clunky.  Maybe I'm just running the 75dpi fonts?  (The 100dpi
lines come before the 75dpi lines in XF86Config-4).

The second problem is that my mouse doesn't work properly.  I can see the
pointer, but it stays stuck in the upper left hand corner of my screen.  What's
interesting is that before I removed gpm, it seemed to work fine in the console.

I've enclosed my XF86Config-4 below.  I installed X using apt-get install
x-window-system.

I also had a some questions about the configuration process.

Is anXious or xf86config supposed to work with this package?  It seems like they
both write /etc/X11/XF86Config, not XF86Config-4.  (I found this very
confusing--I had to resort to Google to figure out the change to -4.)  Also, the
XF86Config from anXious did not have the new ServerLayout section.

I finally found a reference to using dpkg -reconfigure xserver-xfree86 on
Google.    I was going to submit a bug on the documentation, but I wanted to
supply a suggested patch to the README.Debian file, but I couldn't figure out
which README file to patch: xserver-xfree86 or xserver-common.  Which one should
it be?

Thanks!

Mark

---------- XF86Config-4 ------------

### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make changes
# before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
# "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"