Re: testers wanted for xfree86 4.1.0-14pre15v2

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 08:11:55PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> New version.  Should fix #135443 properly.
>
> <crass bribe>The sooner I can put this release to bed, the sooner I can work on
> 4.2.0.</crass bribe>
>
> Experimental versions of the X packages are available at my repository.
>
> Please test these so that 4.1.0-15 can be a solid release, worthy of the
> woody release.  Please direct feedback to the debian-x list.

Feedback:

I'm running woody. I don't have the 4.1.0-15 packages yet. However, I don't
see anything in the changelog to indicate that anything to do with locales
has been touched.

So, here I am, trying to work out how all this locale voodoo works.

* Is there anything that can be done to give us an en_GB with euro-symbol
(set up en_GB@euro alias, perhaps)? -- we may not be "in" the Euro yet, but
we may well be while woody is current, and we already need the symbol in
any case.

Not directly related to the X server packages for woody:

* gdm appears to look up the language set in ~/.gnome/gdm in the system
locale.alias file, come up with a charset with the extra "-" in it, and
stick that in the environment. This then causes no end of X apps to barf
with the "not supported by Xlib" error. Is there anything that can be done
about this? I'd have thought that gdm should just pass the value through
and let the individual apps do the alias lookups through either the C
or X alias files, but what do I know?

Cheers,

Nick
--