Re: Accelerated video driver for XFree86 4.1.0

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 12:45:57PM +0100, Charl P. Botha wrote:
> Go to www.nvidia.com, download the linux drivers for xfree86.  Read the
> documentation and install.  These drivers are closed-source but do the job
> at least as well as their windows counterparts (read: FAST).

Debian can't distribute the drivers (bad license) but there are two
packages you may want to look at to make maintaining your drivers easier.
Basically, they download the latest driver from nvidia and compile it /
prepare it for you.

nvidia-glx-src - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
nvidia-kernel-src - NVIDIA binary kernel module

I use this on one of my machines with an on board nVidia chip.

> ATM there aren't many consumer-oriented video cards with the 3D performance
> of the current generation NVidias that have stable open source driver
> support (and hardware accelerated OpenGL) for XFree86.  I do believe that
> the Radeons are slated to fill this niche, but I don't know what the current
> status is w.r.t. 3D acceleration.

I can't speak for the earlier Radeon line, but the latest set (7500 and
8500) are only supported in the CVS branch of XFree.  I've gotten 2d to
work quite acceptably on my 7500, but no 3d support at all.  Quite
frustrating given that the ATI web site lists the entire radeon line as
being fully supported in xfree86.

Dave

--

- Dave Baker  :  dave@dsb3.com  :  dave@devbrain.com  :  http://dsb3.com/ -
GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D