Re: Seeking info: how to build xfree .deb from CVS

[replying to both mails at once]

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 02:39:01PM -0500, kiss the sun and walk on air wrote:
> do an apt-get source xfree86 to setup the debian and xfree86 source
> directories for the current version. I then replaced the xfree86
> source tarball with the current CVS version.

That's what I did....

> For the patches, it was trial and error, most of the low-numbered ones
> fail since the changes are already in the CVS code, but some of the
> high numbered ones are important, like the one to fix up the locale
> handling between xfree and glibc.

That's also what I did, but the time required for trial and error was
starting to make me wish I'd never bought the card in the first place!!
(more below).

> If the code you need was in cvs mid/late october-ish, I can send you
> the .deb's I made then.

I think the drivers I need will only be included past that point since the
card is relatively new on the market.

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:34:15AM +0100, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> I think what you're trying to do is more hassle than it's worth. :)
>
> Unless you need multihead support, I think you can use a 7500 with 4.1.0
> by overriding the ChipID to that of a VE (IIRC). You should try to get
> more information about this on the web or elsewhere and remember that
> I'm not responsible for any problems this might cause though. :)

Ok.  I'm starting to think so too ... also starting to think I should take
this card back and just get a nVidia instead, even with their less than
desirable driver license.  (I got the 7500 because it has a DVI output and
I'd rather hoped that it would have enough guts to let me play Unreal
Tourn under Linux since my previous card (ATI Xpert 2000) wasn't up to the
task).

What I've ended up doing so far is just doing a standalone "make World"
from the CVS source and copying the following files over the top of my
current install.

/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o    (probably didn't need this)
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o

My 'glxgears' framerate is truly horrible (and UT doesn't run at all) so I
suppose I need also include the updated DRM/DRI modules to that list.

Very horrible, I know, but it was the quickest way to get the card
functional (and I was most frustrated at trying to debug a graphics driver
problem without having a graphical environment available in which to do
research ... for some things, lynx just doesn't cut it!).

So, what I'm looking to do is take my hack and make it more dpkg-friendly.
I suppose I might just as well do the same thing with diversions and wait
for X4.2.0 to be released.

Many thanks to Pete and Michel for the replies.  I think I'll just live
with my hack and make sure I hold those packages until 4.2.0 is out...

Dave

--

- Dave Baker  :  dave@dsb3.com  :  dave@devbrain.com  :  http://dsb3.com/ -
GnuPG:  1024D/D7BCA55D / 09CD D148 57DE 711E 6708  B772 0DD4 51D5 D7BC A55D