first impressions XF86Setup, gpm, gnome-terminal

First impressions on setting up Debian X stuff [letting off steam]:

XF86Setup: even though one clicks on 800x600 etc. one ends up with
        Modes       "640x480"
If it is unhappy about color depth combinations, why doesn't it say so
instead of silently overruling the user.

gpm: the way debian is shipped, the user must learn from the net "why
doesn't my mouse work when I start X".  The two should be configured
more harmoniously from the start.

[the above two I've figured out already.  Just answer me this:]
gnome-terminal: why redrawing the page on every new line?

Also gnome-terminal, with its larger default font and reverse video
seems much more pleasant to have as a default handy button instead of
xterm, but instead it is buried in the menus.
--
http://www.geocities.com/jidanni Tel886-4-25854780 ¿n¤¦¥§