Text corruption on S3 Savage under 4.0.99.1

Posting on the offchance that this will sound familiar to someone,
perhaps someone else who compiled 4.0.99.1...

Using 4.0.99.1 on my Matrox card works fine, but when I install the same
debs on my S3 Savage4 chipset at work (4.0.2 won't let me use 1600x1200)
I do indeed get 1600x1200, but all the text on the screen that should be
black shows up in blue and totally garbled. I didn't get past logging in
through gdm so I don't know whether this is the case for all apps or
just gdm. It looks like random sections of random letters have been put
on top of each other in all the wrong places.

Anyone ever seen or heard of something like this?

Thanks,
Stuart.