[paolo.pumilia@est.it: Re: xfree 4.0.2 refuses connection]

----- Forwarded message from "Paolo M. Pumilia" <paolo.pumilia@est.it> -----

From: "Paolo M. Pumilia" <paolo.pumilia@est.it>
To: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Subject: Re: xfree 4.0.2 refuses connection
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:53:19 +0100

>From Paolo M. Pumilia, Wed Jan 03, at 22:48:
 .Hi Branden Robinson,
 .I have just installed xserver-xfree86 4.0.2 on my debian/linux
 .system, but now X cannot start at boot. I get no error messages, so
 .i am not able to figure out what is going wrong.

One more observation.

As the command
/etc/init.d/xdm start
is entered by root, from a character terminal, X starts taking
almost 100 % of CPU time, but no display is used (that is vt7
is blank)
As that X process is killed (kill -9), another one starts up
that is to be killed too, as the former one.

Such occurrence of two next X processes has been observed
several times in my attempts di make X 4.0.2 up an running;
do you have any idea to explain such behavior?

thank you (and happy new year)

--
 Paolo Pumilia
 email: pumilia@est.it

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson            |     The basic test of freedom is perhaps
Debian GNU/Linux               |     less in what we are free to do than in