[paolo.pumilia@est.it: xfree 4.0.2 refuses connection]

----- Forwarded message from "Paolo M. Pumilia" <paolo.pumilia@est.it> -----

From: "Paolo M. Pumilia" <paolo.pumilia@est.it>
To: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Subject: xfree 4.0.2 refuses connection
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:48:38 +0100

Hi Branden Robinson,
I have just installed xserver-xfree86 4.0.2 on my debian/linux
system, but now X cannot start at boot. I get no error messages, so
i am not able to figure out what is going wrong.

Here is my current setup:

ii  libxaw7        4.0.2-1        X Athena widget set library
ii  xbase-clients  4.0.2-1        miscellaneous X clients
ii  xdm            4.0.2-1        X display manager
ii  xfree86-common 4.0.2-1        X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
ii  xfs            4.0.2-1        X font server
ii  xlib6g         4.0.2-1        pseudopackage providing X libraries
ii  xlibs          4.0.2-1        X Window System client libraries
ii  xserver-common 4.0.2-1        files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-xfree8 4.0.2-1        the XFree86 X server
ii  xutils         4.0.2-1        XFree86 utility programs

Configuration file, /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, should be correct,
since no errors (warnings only) are printed out when launching
 XFree86
from terminal

As i enter startx command, as root, i get:
%% startx
   waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
   ..
   ..
   ..

until CTRL-C:

  .^Vxinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unexpected signal 2

%%

What could be wrong in my setup?
Where to look for further info from my system?

I noticed the XFree86 has been compiled with Linux 2.2.18
while i am using 2.2.17. Could that be an issue?

I am writing directly to you because i am not subscribed to
any debian mailing list and, at present, i could not cope with
too much mail traffic

thank you

 Paolo Pumilia
 email: pumilia@est.it
 o  o o     cstc      o o  o

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |         kernel panic -- causal failure