Re: xserver-xfree86 4.1.0-2 fails where 4.0.2-7puetzk worked

Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 11:18:29AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Michael Schmitz <schmitz@zirkon.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de> writes:
> >
> > > The patch is rather hackish (there's no way to easily find a free PCI
> > > resource region in 2.2 kernels) and might not make it through BenH's or
> > > Alan's 'no brute force hacks' filter. If the Debian kernel package
> > > maintainer accepts it, fine.
> >
> > Ok, I filed a bug against kernel-patch-2.2.19-powerpc.
>
> I don't.  Precisely because it wouldn't be accepted by the 2.2 kernel
> maintainers.

Well, at your discretion, you can do that.  Just close the bug or mark
it WONTFIX or whatever.

> I'd rather make a set of 2.4 install disks available than include
> patches like this in our 2.2 kernel.

It's certainly possible to change the boot-floppies over to 2.4
kernels, but I doubt the wisdom of that.  I recently tried to run the
kernel-image-2.4-powerpc (2.4.8-1) and it wouldn't even boot my
machine (hung after the RTC stuff).  Not to mention that 2.4.8 is
rather old.  So I question the maturity of that.  I certainly don't
know of anyone testing the install system with kernel 2.4 on an array
of PowerPC hardware.