Re: locale[s]/LANG broken in unstable

Heitzso wrote:

> I run debian unstable and this morning, after updating, noticed that
> 'man' complained about a bad LANG or LC_ setting.
>
> My LANG was set to 'english' and LC_CTYPE was set,
> but set to blank or nothing, i.e. 'set' showed it but nothing
> was after the equals sign.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be gdm's fault: A previous
version had for some reason set "english" as the default value for LANG
(which to my knowledge is not a legal value, but I don't really know).
If you use gdm, use the language dropdown from gdm to set "POSIX/C
english" as the default, and see if that fixes your problem. If you
don't use gdm, I can't help you.

It took me ages to find it also.

(This should probably be reported as a bug in the gdm package, but I've
never gotten around to looking for it. It should probably check whether
it's about to use a completely invalid value for LANG, and if so
specifically ask you what language...)

Stuart.