Issues with mouse and a suggested fix

Hello,

X, gpm and wheel mouse is not a combination that works well together by default in Debian. At least not when I installed it. This was the first serious issue I had to deal with, and by looking at the debian-user archive I can see that I am not alone.

I struggled with this for a while and the solution for me was to change gpm.conf to look like this:

type=imps2
device=/dev/psaux
repeat_type=raw
responsiveness=
append=""

while at the same time making the relevant section in XF86Config-4 to look like this:

   Protocol    "IntelliMouse"
   Device      "/dev/gpmdata"
# For wheel mice
   ZAxisMapping 4 5
   Buttons 5

The important part seems to be to set repeat type to raw in gpm. This way I get the mouse to work both in console mode and in X, including the mouse wheel.

The protocol must of course be different between different mouses and the gpm device will also have to change if the mouse is serial for example. Apart from that, do you think that this is a sensible setting to have as default? That is, gpm repeats "raw" to /dev/gpmdata? Also, will having ZAxisMappings hurt a non-wheel mouse?

In that case, I found that gpm has different defaults than this in the version of gpm I have (1.19.3), so I can file something on that. However, I could not find out where XF86Config is created and what defaults it has. Can anyone help?

Claes

Hämta MSN Explorer kostnadsfritt på http://explorer.msn.se