Re: Fw: x-ttcidfont-conf: The 3.6 x-ttcidfont-conf got the probelms with 3.5 ,the big5-0 coded truetype fonts can not be displayed,where are the scripts for defom

As Ishikawa said, it is not a bug of x-ttcidfont-conf.
X is suspected to be the origin of this bug because bitmap
big5 fonts (like -eten-fixed-) are also not displayed.

Some Japanese developers and I are looking into the problem, but
it doesn't become clear.. We really need Chinese's help, Anthony.
Will you spend some time on checking if your machine(s) can display
big5 fonts?

We (ishikawa, gotom and take) tried with following machines.
ishikawa) X4 - Yesterday's CVS (with/without xfs-xtt) with freetype backend.
gotom) potato's X3 (xfree86-common 3.3.6-11potato15, xfonts-intl-chinese 1.1-9,
	with/without xfs-xtt 1:1.3.0.1-12)
       sid's newest X4
take) sid's X4 (4.0.3-4; a bit older one) without xfs variants, with xtt
	backend.

All machines failed to display any big5 bitmap and truetype fonts with
xfontsel.
Crash of X was experienced by Ishikawa when testing.

Ishikawa said that executing "xfontsel -pattern <full XLFD of a big5 font>
led to succeed in displaying the font, but when he tried to choose big5
from the menu <rgstry>, it disappeared.
I couldn't reproduce this. "xfontsel -pattern <big5 font>" displayed nothing.

Ishikawa also said "xfd -fn <bitmap big5 font>" always succeeded to
display the font, but "xfd -fn <truetype big5 font>" succeeded only
with xtt backend (of course without xfs variants). xfontsel always failed.
(Note that he tried this series of tests with CVS X4.)
I also followed the tests in the same way, and got the same result.

Based on this result, he said that xfontsel probably had a bug in handling
big5 fonts. He suspects that changes around fontenc comitted a few days ago,
introduced a bug, and/or the encoding file has a bug, and either or
both of these two have something to do with crash of X.

Anyway, only i can say is that there may be a bug in xfontsel around handling
big5 fonts. I hope Chinese people to check if xfontsel can display big5
fonts :)

This bug is closed.

Thanks,

	hirot