gamma extension in X?

I realise this is not a general help list, but I've had a strange problem
with Dockingstation on several versions of Progeny Linux and I was given this
as a possible solution.

<QUOTE Francis Irving <francis.irving@creaturelabs.com>>

I've done a search, and found the cause of this problem:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no\&bug=97262

It is a bug in SDL 1.2, which we ship in Docking Station.  It is
trying to make gamma changing calls and not checking that X has that
extension first of all.

Can you see if you can email that gamma extension in X somehow?  If
you can, I'd love to hear how.  Otherwise you can try deleting the SDL
.so from /usr/local/games/dockingstation, and hence use the one with
Debian, as the bug is fixed in SDL there.
</QUOTE>

Now for the interesting parts.

I've got Progeny installed on my system with an AGP ATI RageII C+ video card
successfully running dockingstation.

My Daughters system with an S3 Trio64+ card won't run dockingstation. It
fails with the following error, ascribed to the above bug:

>> Welcome to Docking Station!
>> Gdk-ERROR **: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
>>   serial 17 error_code 1 request_code 145 minor_code 16

I've also got 5 Dell PC's with built-in S3Trio64+ video I've been running
some experiments with the Linux Terminal Server Project on. This is where
things get really strange?

I've got 1 PC with 128M memory and 8G hard drive running as the server. I've
got the other 4 set-up as diskless terminals from this server. I installed
dockingstation onto the system from one of the terminals and everything ran
fine, but DOG slow. I updated the desktop to KDE2.1 from kde.debian.net. I
wanted to see if dockingstation was as slow on the server, so I logged into
it directly, and dockingstation fails with the same error as above. I
originally thought the upgrade had broken it somehow, but I tried
dockingstation again from one of the remote terminals and it worked?!? This
is the part that really puzzles me. Why does it run from an X-Terminal but
not from the server? The server and terminal are identical PC's. As I'm
running Progeny the version of libsdl available is only libsdl1.1. To get the
fixed libsdl1.2 would require updating many different libs and the last time
I updated libs on a stable system, it wasn't anymore.

If Francis could get the gamma extension in X, he might be able to fix this
himself, so, I'm asking the X experts to help creaturelabs improve
dockingstation for all Linux users.

Cheers,

	John Gay