Re: Apt-get upgraded and broke XFree86 4.1.0

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 10:17:29PM -0500, Stephen Anthony wrote:
> I just apt-get upgraded yesterday for the first time in two weeks. I'm
> not certain if it was the XFree86-common package, or an xserver package
> or what, but some package in that family gave me some sort of prompt in
> the configuration stage telling me that I had my choice of using
> automatic checking to determine what x settings to use, or I could keep
> using the options generated by a script, and that both should in theory
> work, but sometimes only one or the other would. I chose to use the
> automatic checking for configuration. The same dialog series also asked
> some other things like whether the keyboard was pc101, or a pc104 or
> pc105... Upon rebooting, x will attempt to start, but will fail. I have
> tried manually doing startx, and the same result occurs. Some basic
> system stats:
> Debian unstable
> kernel 2.4
> 3dfx Voodoo 3 card

i solved this by launching dexconf by hand, it generated the correct XF86Config-4 file.

Apparently the problems comes from the question being pre-installation debconf questions, that get asked and the information stored, but the XF86Config-4 file never get's generated.

Friendly,

Sven Luther