Horizontal timing out of range (was Re: Bug in Xgalaga?)

[added the list back to the cc's of this because it's now a general
question about Xfree86, rather than a specific question about your
message. I hope you (Juliusz) don't mind - none of the content of your
reply seemed particularly private]

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> Stuart Ballard wrote:
>
> > How do you do this? With 4.0.[23] and the savage driver, the 1600x1200
> > modeline that I used to use with great success on 3.3.x now fails with
> > "hsync out of range".
>
> That's different.  It simply means that your modeline requests an
> hsync value (not a dot clock!) that your Monitor entry claims not to
> support.

Oops - seems I misremembered the error message. This is what it actually
says:

(WW) SAVAGE(0): Mode "1600x1200" deleted (horizontal timing out of
range)

Is that the same problem, or a different one?

> No, most probably you're using a different Monitor entry than you used
> to in 3.*.

This is the XF86Config-4 version of my Monitor section. I just checked
and the old XF86Config from v3 was identical except for a lot of
comments and different identifier strings.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
        HorizSync    30-117
        VertRefresh  50-160
        Option       "DPMS"
        Modeline "1600x1200"  162   1600 1664 1856 2160  1200 1201 1204
1250 +HSync +VSync
EndSection

(minus the obvious wordwrapping of the modeline done by my mail client)

(Actually, my *current* Xf86-4 has vertrefresh 50-70 for other reasons,
but this doesn't change the error message for the 1600x1200 modeline)

Thanks again for your help!

Stuart.