Re: XFree86 4.1.0-0pre1v5 now available; 4.1.0-1 imminent

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:15:43PM -0500, Larry Moore wrote:
> At 17:47 -0500 7/18/01, Branden Robinson wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 04:25:21PM -0500, Larry Moore wrote:
> >>  At 23:02 -0500 7/14/01, Branden Robinson wrote:
> >>  >The latest prerelease of 4.1.0 .debs is now available at the X Strike
> >>  >Force repository (see the URL in my .sig).

> >>  Do you have plans to release it to the m68k also?
> >
> >Maybe you should go look in the repository.  :)
> >

>   ./config says I'm missing aclocal, autoconfig, automake, autoheader,
> makeinfo and that my gcc doesn't work. Any advice on what provides
> the first five members of the list can be found (grepping the stable
> potato Packages for those isn't very informative and thought I'd ask
> someone in the know)? I'm not sure why gcc fails ./config  --- I
> don't have a very fast internet link but thought I'd picked up all
> the gcc components.) I'm finding the documentation for linux m68k
> overwhealmingly extensive and complete but maybe, a little
> under-indexed  :-) and that's just the user-level.  Thanks, larry
>
> Good thing I had played around with a 3b2 in my youth and this isn't
> totally unfamiliar.
Ok, I admit, I am drinking german beer which has been imported to the US.
Somebody must have put something in there....

What the *** are you talking about? What config, aclocal, etc???
Have you checked Brandens nice website? I just did (on my Amiga):
add this to /etc/apt/sources.list (as described on the page)

# X strike force
deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/ woody/$(ARCH)/

apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

eh voila, new X. I don't claim its working yet, the usual problem:
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
(II) Module XFree86 Font Renderer: vendor="XFree86 Font Renderer"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
(II)
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

So you have to use the 3.3.6 xserver-fbdev package with this.

If you really want to compile X yourself (which is the only explanation for
your mail, but why where you asking for an m68k version then?) you might
want to check the fine README in the source as well as the control file, to
find out what packages you need to satisfy the build-depends. And you might
want to read my other comments in the thread on debian-x, to prevent your
machine from compiling for a day, for nothing...

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/x4.0/        (bit out-of-date...)