Re: XFree86 4.1.0pre1v1.3 on Alpha

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 12:36:14PM -0400, doug@ties.org wrote:
> >As it turns out, one can add an option in the Device Section of the
> >XF86Config file:
> >
> >        Option  "NoInt10"
>
> Good to know.  I looked for something like that, but it's not
> mentioned in the user-side documentation at all.  I tried this and it
> does work on my system, but for the record is spelled "NoINT10".

Hmm; actually, I think it may do the comparison "case-less", as I have
had it work as "NoInt10" and "noint10"...

> And unfortunately it's a tough nut to crack because it leaves the
> system in an unusable state.  Unfortunately I think it's gonna take
> some serious code study by someone who's familiar with the minutia of
> the LX (or does it die on a Miata too?)

I think it does crash on MIATA as well, but I'm not certain.

And yes, it's tough. It may not even be the fault of the int10 code,
either.  Last one we had to go to this level with, was a problem we
saw on *all* boxes with Radeon 32MB SDR PCI. It turned out to be a
problem caused by running the BIOS more than once - it would work the
first time (ie when the SRM console's BIOS emulator ran on the cold
card), but then when int10 was run later under XFree86, it would make
a mistake because the state of the card was already set up.  I'd call
that a problem in the BIOS code myself, but there's rather small
chance of getting it fixed... ;-}

> Yes, I agree, since we have the nice option that makes things work
> once again.  And now that it's been discussed here, maybe
> affected people will actually find the appropriate option via a web
> search.

Well, an entry in release notes is always in order, or a FAQ if there's
an appropriate one. I posted that workaround, as well as some others,
to axp-list, and it seemed to help... ;-}

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com