Re: Problems starting X,v.4.0.3

On Wed, 16 May 2001, Charl P. Botha wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 02:12:41PM +0200, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> > The only package I found is xutils -- there, it declares that the
> > newest version was already installed.
> >
> > Still the "fixed" font cannot be found.
>
> ObWarning: Don't take this mail too seriously.

Don't panic -- ignorrants must take what they get '-)

> Please switch your brain back on:
That's what I did this morning.

> 1. Your server complains about not being able to fond the "fixed" font.
yeah.

> 2. I ask you to check that you have xfonts-base installed.
See the output:

komsys-pc-lr:~# apt-get install xfonts-base
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, xfonts-base is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
komsys-pc-lr:~# apt-get install xfs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, xfs is already the newest version.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
komsys-pc-lr:~# ps ax | grep xfs
21103 pts/2    S      0:00 xfs

> 3. You say you don't and still wonder what's wrong.

Yeah, I still wonder.

> Hmmmm, your conclusion should have been: "Aaaah, of course!  Let's install
> package xfonts-base!" :)

that's what I already did before I contacted for the first time....

Thanks for any further help to someone ignorant...
:-)
--lpr