Re: Xrefuses to start -- solved

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:37:50 +0200, Gert Langrock said:
> > Hello,
> >
> >  on sunday I did a apt-get upgrade on unstable and after
> >  this X was unable to start. It showed an error message
> >  saying that it was unable to load the default font
> >  "fixed". What is wrong and in which package? I also
> >  use xfs although I am not shure whether the Xserver uses
> >  it or not?
>
> i don't particularly like xfs. don't know why. seems a little useless to
> have a server for one box.
> perhaps for diskless Xterminals, maybe. nevertheless.
>
> you're either missing the xfonts-base package, or you don't have
>
> 	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
>
>  in the Section "Files" of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>
> (most likely the former if you're trying to use xfs as your only means of
> getting fonts, but that seems unlikely, unless you wrote your config
> yourself. the debian config tool adds both iirc)
>
> this problem sometimes seems to show up. i've found the best way to get a
> decent X install is to install the task-x-window-system-core package (or
> the more extensive task-x-window-system package, which includes a great
> number of utilities)

The problem is solved. Both Font-path and package xfonts-base were set
and installed. However since it was just an update to newer package versions
i did not control the update process very carefully. It seeems that
configuration of the package xfonts-base failed for some reason.
A dpkg-reconfigure xfonts-base did the trick!

Thanks for your help,

Olaf