Re: X refuses to start (missing default font)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:37:50 +0200, Gert Langrock said:

> Hello,
>
>  on sunday I did a apt-get upgrade on unstable and after
>  this X was unable to start. It showed an error message
>  saying that it was unable to load the default font
>  "fixed". What is wrong and in which package? I also
>  use xfs although I am not shure whether the Xserver uses
>  it or not?

i don't particularly like xfs. don't know why. seems a little useless to have a
server for one box.
perhaps for diskless Xterminals, maybe. nevertheless.

you're either missing the xfonts-base package, or you don't have

	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"

 in the Section "Files" of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

(most likely the former if you're trying to use xfs as your only means of
getting fonts, but that seems unlikely, unless you wrote your config yourself.
the debian config tool adds both iirc)

this problem sometimes seems to show up. i've found the best way to get a
decent X install is to install the task-x-window-system-core package (or the
more extensive task-x-window-system package, which includes a great number of
utilities)

Andrew Pilley