XFree 4.0.2-13 ; issues with SiS 6326

Dear list,

I just had to buy a new system (the old one had a dying MB ...) and got
something with a SiS 6326, which is giving me troubles with xfree 4.0.2-13 as
shipped in unstable (listed in order of discovery) :

- No autodetection of mouse protocol and port (I had to put it manually in
place), neither by xf86cfg nor X -configure.
- A big gray striped block instead of a mouse pointer, unless I use
"SoftwareCursor"
- Incorrect display of some Web page background in NS 4.7 (I get a red-blue
chexker instead of an uniform shade, making the text unreadable) unless I use
"NoAccel"
- No startup if I ask for a 24 bit deep 1280x1024 display ; 16-bit deep display
works fine.
- Display is slooooow (probably due to the "NoAccel" option I have to use ...).

Does this rings a bell among X developpers ?

I read on www.xfree.org that somme issues with SiS driver have been fixed in
4.0.3. Is there an ETA for it in debian/unstable ?

Do you have some idea of how I could work around in the meantime ? The "sis"
manpage isn't very helpful, to say the least ...

Last but not least : should I submit a formal bug report ? if so, about what
package ?

					Emmanuel Charpentier

PS : It seems that I can get a replacement ATI RagePro for not much more.
Should I dive for that, or be pigheaded about the SiS ?

--
Emmanuel Charpentier			Tel :		+33-01 40 27 35 98
Secrétariat scientifique du CEDIT	Fax :		+33-01 40 27 55 65