International keyboard setup (xkb)

I'm trying to make sense of the way X is handling the keyboard, via xkb.  I
want to be able to setup something like xkbsel to switch between a latin and
cyrillic keyboard.  (Cyrillic docs usually recommend using xruskb, but from
what I understand, it is, as the russians might say, somewhat "otstoiniy".
Based on X11R5 rather than X11R6 or something).

Now the keys all seem to be there in /etc/X11/xkb - there's the cyrillic
mapping in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/ru, but the bit I don't get is where the key
gets mapped to the letter's ASCII value. For instance, take the key "q".
/etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86 and /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us suggest it's the
physical key 24 which gets is mapped to X key <AD01>.  But at what point is
<AD01> mapped to ASCII character 161 (hex 71) ??

When I can understand that, I'll be on my way to enhancing xkbsel to write
in cyrillic.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A