Voodoo 5 DRI support not compiled in?

My odd situation is this: on a stock XFree86 4.0.2 install, DRI
support for my Voodoo5 doesn't get enabled (and I get some very
strange effects from some programs that are attempting to use OpenGL,
xmame most notably).  However, if I replace tdfx_dri.so, tdfx_drv.o,
and libdri.a in their respective directories under
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules with the precompiled versions from Precision
Insight that are in the binary RPMs that used to be on the
linux.3dfx.com website, it works just fine.

A quick scan of the list archives shows a conversation that seems to
imply that the 3dfx driver is currently not DRI-enabled, but I read it
as talking only about the new cvs DRI driver on sourceforge, and the
changelogs imply that DRI should be working for Voodoo 5 cards.  Did I
miss something?  Is this something I should just wait out, or is there
a likely problem with my setup, the Debian build, or the upstream
source?  Currently, I've put in a local dpkg-divert for those three
files, but I'm curious as to why it's necessary.

I've put copies of XFree86.0.log, xdm.log, and the output from glxinfo
both for my working setup and the Debian stock setup at
http://www.debian.org/~zed/ if it helps.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.