Re: Roll-your-own X packages

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 09:02:13PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've recently built, and am now using, an XFree86 build from DRI CVS.
> This greatly improves 3D performance on my card (a voodoo3).
>
> Of course, it's a bit annoying running X out of /usr/local, so... how
> hard would it be to build debian packages from it?  I understand that
> the X packages are fairly complex :-)
>
> Alternatively, does Branden ever fold in DRI versions into his
> packages? How long would I be in this unpackaged state before my local
> sid mirror had up-to-date packages?

Well, I've sent Branden the necessary patches to just build servers
from the source package and nothing else if desired.  Does DRI need
more than the servers?

All you need to do to build packages is take a clean X tree
(un-debian-patched, the tarball is in the X source package) and a DRI
source tree and diff them.  Stick the patch in the debian patches
directory, and pray it doesn't conflict with any other patches.  Bump
version in changelog.  Rinse, repeat.

Dan