Re: Roll-your-own X packages

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 09:02:13PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've recently built, and am now using, an XFree86 build from DRI CVS.
> This greatly improves 3D performance on my card (a voodoo3).

I've been watching this and other threads like it in hopes that something useful would come out.  I have a few ideas about how it /might/ be done, but I haven't tested them (not enough hours in the day *sigh*).

> Of course, it's a bit annoying running X out of /usr/local, so... how
> hard would it be to build debian packages from it?  I understand that
> the X packages are fairly complex :-)

Indeed it is annoying.  The first thing that comes to mind is simply checking out the CVS source, then getting the debian/ directory out of the current xserver-xfree86 source package, moving it over, and attempting to build an xserver-dri package that way

> Alternatively, does Branden ever fold in DRI versions into his
> packages? How long would I be in this unpackaged state before my local
> sid mirror had up-to-date packages?

It would probably be more practical for someone who isn't as tied up as Branden, and knows more about dpkg than myself, to create and contribute such a package, probably best named xserver-dri or xserver-dri-date or xserver-dri-cvs.  Any takers? ;)

--
-=|JP|=-    "This space intentionally left blank."
Jon Pennington          | Debian 2.4                 -o)