NeoMagic + 4.0.2 = freeze

I'm running 4.0.2 and unstable on my Thinkpad i1452, and I'm pretty
unhappy.

The major problem:

Often, when I use a Netscape window, my computer hangs.  It might be
while I drag the window, it might be while I click on a text box, ...
Sometimes it's after 5 minutes of use, sometimes after 5 hours.  But
it always seems to be Netscape-related.

The hang is complete -- no network, ny SysRq, nada.  In the 3 years
I've used 3.3.6, X has been totally stable.  Furthermore, my computer
seems to be stable if I don't run Netscape.

What can I do to pursue this?  The laptop has a NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV
graphics chip.

Also, this is no big deal, but perhaps a clue:

In GDM, when I iconify the window, the window disappears and the icon
appears in the lower-right.  But all this garbage appears to the left.
A whole bunch of icon-width lines scattered across the screen.
It looks like bad acceleration code -- somebody screwed up the rowbytes
on the blit.

Thanks for your attention!

	- Scott