Re: [raul@usatoday.com: asd]

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 11:37:31PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 10:09:20PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Please upgrade to v10; I think there is something in xfree86-common that
> > err, addresses your bug report.
>
> Ok, thanks for helping me find the bug report instructions.
>
> Since this feels like a packaging problem (behavior changed between
> v5 and v9), and since you did me the favor of forwarding the
> report to debian-x, I'm going to presume that it most likely is
> a packaging problem.

Well, I doubt it, because I've been tracking bleeding edge CVS and the
Permedia3 driver is one of the things that's been hacked on since v5.

I suggest trying to cook up a bug report for upstream, including:

1) your XF86Config
2) /var/log/XFree86.0.log
3) anything else you can think of

> If anyone can point me at copies of v6, v7, and v8, I'd be happy to
> try each, in turn, to see at what point the problem starts happening.

I don't have copies of them, and I doubt anyone's archiving them.

> Otherwise, the only clues I can think of are:
>
> [1] I've had my permedia act up like this (blanking display entirely,
> need to reboot to restore), occasionally, before.  My impression was that
> this was a race condition, where I was switching consoles while X was in
> the middle of configuring my card.  [But it's never been this consistent.]

Probably a driver bug.

> [2] In xdm.log, the odd message:
> xdm error (pid 524): SetPerClientControls failed
>
> I don't think I've seen this error message before.

I don't know what it means either.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |        "To be is to do"   -- Plato
Debian GNU/Linux                |        "To do is to be"   -- Aristotle