Re: xfree86 4.0.1 [rfe] log files

[replying to debian-x as well, I hope you don't mind]

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 04:25:20PM -0700, Seth R Arnold wrote:
> Branden, I tried to install the phase 1.18 4.0.1 debs. I was impressed
> they upgraded as smoothly as they did over my woody xf86. (I did them
> mostly by hand, so I had to play with the order to get the xaw stuff to
> go properly, but it worked out, I think. :)

Just remember that libXaw depends on libXt and libX11, which are in xlib6g
(now renamed to xlibs).

> In any event, when I tried to start X (using XFree86, *after* running
> XFree86 -configure but before tweaking XF86Config) I got a fatal error
> that the log file /var/log/XFree86.0.log did not exist.

That's very odd.  The server should *create* this file.  Do you have a log
of this error message?  Can you reproduce it?

> Perhaps this log file should be generated by the packages during
> installation? (With the proper permissions too; heheh. :)

/var/log should already exist with the proper permissions, and the X server
itself should be creating this logfile.

> Thanks for getting this beast packaged; I didn't have great luck getting
> 4.0 to work a few months ago, so I am thrilled you are doing it for me.
> :)

Thanks for testing it!  Please reply to debian-x if you don't mind working
out these issues in public view.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    America is at that awkward stage.  It's
Debian GNU/Linux               |    too late to work within the system, but