Re: XFree4.0.1

On Sat, Jul 29, 2000 at 09:54:40PM +0200, Alessandro Zummo wrote:
>  Hi, i just installed the .debs and i've encountered the following
>  problems so far:
>
>  - xpm4g had to be removed, some packages referred to it.. i
>  removed them too. they probably should depend to
>  libxpm4, isn't it?

Many packages depend on the old xpm package name; they should use "libxpm4"
instead.  If they are rebuilt against a recent version of xpm4g, they will
get the correct dependencies.

Or, once we're in Phase 3 (release of XFree86 4.0.1 to woody), these
packages can simply be built against xlib6g.

>  - some minor dependency problems... mesag3 was involved

Not sure yet exactly what Conflicts/Replaces/Provides dance I need to do to
make this smooth; I've got some but apparently it isn't enough.  I guess I
should talk to James Treacy about it.

>  - maybe the debs should Conflict with other server-card.deb

No, there is no need to conflict with the 3.x servers.  We will be able to
support both (and we should, see the XFree86 4.x Driver Status document).

>  - I had to move the XF86Config file in the right place

That should not have been necessary; see the XF86Config manual page.

>  - i had to add XFree86 in  Xserver

/usr/bin/X11/XFree86 ?  Yes, that will be necessary for a little while.

>  - the server tried to retrieve SecurityPolicy in the wrong path,
>  a symlink solved.

That should not have happened.  I also haven't had this problem myself.
What error did you get?  Did you uninstall all of your XFree86 3.x .debs
before installing these, as the README tells you to?

--
G. Branden Robinson            |       What influenced me to atheism was
Debian GNU/Linux               |       reading the Bible cover to cover.