Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

>> Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

 [ regarding the status of the new Xserver ]

 > I expect it to be widely used, especially by people with recent hardware.

 I'm two minds about this.  Yes, the architecture of the new X server
 is better.  What I'm getting out of it is not.  I have to sit down,
 reread docs, and figure out why, but the 16 bpp mode suffers from
 severe dithering on my hardware (G400).  The much promotioned OpenGL
 support is still in development, which is the other reason I annoyed
 you so much about the .diff.gz -- I want to persue automatic building
 out of cvs of the relevant stuff for Debian.  On that respect, utah-glx
 is still faster/easier to install/better looking/whatever.

 > Some of the 3.x series X servers will continue to be provided to support
 > hardware that 4.0 doesn't yet.

 And utah-glx (doesn't work with 4.0 servers)

 Thanks,

                                            Marcelo