Re: xfs-xtt stopped on upgrade, XF86_S3 at 50-70% CPU

Karl,

xfs-xtt looks in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType for its *.ttf fonts (at
least by default).

(1) Be sure you put your fonts there.
(2) Be sure there is a file `fonts.dir' there.
(3) Since many *.ttf fonts have broken header information (people are
lazy, I guess), you might want to give mkttfdir these options (which also
gives oblique variants): -e -o
(4) Insure that xfs-xtt is referenced by your XF86Config file (ordinarily
in /etc/X11). To use UNIX domain sockets, a FontPath line would look like:

  FontPath "unix/:7100"

...if you use port 7100/tcp for xfs-xtt; don't ask me why they did it this
way. To use TCP/IP to reach the font server (for which you must enable
listening in /etc/X11/xfs/config first), add a line something like this:

  FontPath "tcp/hostname:port"

Hostname is, obviously, the hostname or IP address of the font server. The
port is the port number (usually 7100) on which the font server is
listening.

(5) If all else fails (and you reach this step), try reinstalling (dpkg
--purge xfs-xtt) the package to restore its default (and
sane) configuration.

Regards,

Alex.

---
PGP/GPG Fingerprint:
  EFD1 AC6C 7ED5 E453 C367  AC7A B474 16E0 758D 7ED9