Can't log in with xdm and VMware X server

I don't know which piece of software is at fault here, so instead of
simply reporting a bug, I'm writing to you so that we might figure out
where the problem lies.  Then I'll report the bug.

I'm using a "vmware" (http://www.vmware.com ) virtual machine instead
of a real computer.  Briefly, vmware is a program that emulates a
physical computer.  You can install an OS on it and then run
applications.  It works surprisingly well.

Anyway, in short, the latest version of potato, installed with the
latest boot floppies, works fine until I install the vmware X server,
after which I cannot log in via xdm.

Here's the details of what I did:

I did CVS update to the boot floppies source at about 6 PM Pacific
Standard Time, March 7.  Then of course I rebuilt them with `make
release' as root.

I also had an up-to-date Debian mirror.

I installed from those boot floppies.  I've omitted the details of
installing the base system, because that would take a lot of space and
I'm not sure it's necessary.  However, I'm willing to repeat the
installation, recording absolutely everything, if that's necessary.
Following are the steps I took, starting with the first boot from the
hard disk.

* Did not enable MD5 passwords

* Installed shadow passwords

* Did not create a normal user account

* Removed pcmcia packages

* Chose the "filesystem" method to install apt

* No non-US software

* No non-free software

* Alt+F2 to get another shell.  Logged in as root.  Added this line to
  /etc/fstab:

  10.0.0.127:/huge/rsync/debian	/debian	   nfs	ro 0	0

Then did 'mkdir /debian; mount -a'.  Now I've got my Debian mirror
mounted as a local filesystem.  Logged out.  Alt+F1 to get back to the
installation.

* Hit 'enter' to accept the default source for installation:
  "/debian".

* Did not add another apt source.

* Chose "simple" system configuration.

* Selected the `X Window System (complete)' task.

* At this point the installation broke due to bug 58492: I saw an
  error from Perl on the screen, which was quickly erased and replaced
  with the screen that says "Have fun!".  I dismissed that screen and
  the following one.

* I logged on as root.

* I ran 'apt-get install perl-5.005'.  This is my way of working
  around bug 58492.

* I ran 'apt-get install task-x-window-system' to complete the
  installation that the bug interrupted.

* I accepted SVGA16 as the default X server.

* I chose to create XF86Config.

* PS/2 mouse; yes, emulate3buttons; /dev/psaux; Microsoft Natural
  keyboard; '10' for horizontal sync range; '4' for vertical sync
  range; 'a' 'b' 'c' for my monitor identification strings; didn't
  look at the card database; chose 2 (the XF86_VGA16 server) to run by
  default; 'y' to modify the XF86Config file; '5', 4096K video memory;
  'd' 'e' 'f' for my card's identification strings; no Clockchip
  setting; 'no' to running Xprobeonly; 'yes' to writing out the
  XF86Config file; 'n' to test the configuration.

* Back at the shell prompt: `startx'.  The server started OK, and
  left-mouse-button brought up the default twm menu.  (The one that
  says Iconify Move Resize Lower).  So I realize that I need to
  install the `menu' package in order to get a useful menu, so I
  choose 'Exit'.

* Back at the shell prompt: `apt-get install menu'.

* `startx' again.  Now left-mouse-button brings up the Debian menu;
  much better.  I exited twm again.

* `shutdown now', followed by a control-D once we're shut down, to get
  xdm running.

* works fine.  In particular, when I log in, I get twm as before.

* To install the vmware tools (which installs a new X server) I
  clicked on "Settings->VMware tools install".  Then at the shell I
  typed `mount /dev/fd0 /floppy ; cd /tmp; tar zxvf
  /floppy/vmware-linux-tools.tar.gz; cd vm*; ./install.pl other'.  The
  VMware tools installed happily.

* I did 'shutdown now' from the shell, and hit Control-D when
  prompted.  Thus I restarted the various daemons.

* Now when I try to log in via XDM (both as root, and as a regular
  user), after typing my password, there's a pause of a second or two,
  and I see the XDM login screen again.  I see this appear in
  /var/log/xdm.log:

AUDIT: Wed Mar  8 08:46:39 2000: 237 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
AUDIT: Wed Mar  8 08:46:39 2000: 237 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
AUDIT: Wed Mar  8 08:46:39 2000: 237 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
AUDIT: Wed Mar  8 08:46:39 2000: 237 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
AUDIT: Wed Mar  8 08:46:39 2000: 237 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
vmwareEnterLeaveVT (0, 0)
vmwareEnterLeaveVT (1, 0)
Visual: vid 32 class 4 red 0x0000f800 green 0x000007e0 blue 0x0000001f
System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm -m us_microsoft -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> " -eml "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86 compiled/xfree86.xkm'
AUDIT: Wed Mar  8 08:46:43 2000: 237 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
/usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
AUDIT: Wed Mar  8 08:46:43 2000: 237 X: client 3 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xmodmap:  unable to open display ':0'

That's the problem: I cannot log in via XDM.  Note that before I
installed the VMware tools, I was indeed able to log in via XDM.

If there's anything I can do to help diagnose this, please let me
know.  And please give me your opionion about which component (X?
VMware?) is the culprit.

Please respond directly to me, as I don't read (all of) these mailing
lists.

       Thanks.