Re: no window manager, no x-terminal, after installing task-gnom

 [ X-Posted to debian-x and debian-boot.  See the short thread in
 debian-boot for more on what's been said about this topic. ]

    >> So I guess task-x-window-system-core is off the hook.  But I still
    >> should have gotten a terminal and a window manager.  Where does the
    >> responsibility lie?
    >>

    Sean> The only solution I see for the gnome task creator to pick a wm happy with
    Sean> gnome.  The user can obviously change it later, but a nice default.  Something
    Sean> like wmaker, easy.  As for terminal, why did you not get gnome-term?

 `task-window-manager' might be good.  It could load several Gnome
 window managers, and some themes, so there's more than one to choose
 from in the Gnome control panel.  (I really like sawmill!)

 When after a fresh install you type `startx', there ought to be a
 fairly nicely configured default setup for us to show off.  `gnome
 help' isn't all that bad...  It starts one with the gnome pages; and
 if `dhelp' and a web server got installed, a second frame or at least
 a URL icon on the desktop ought to point to the `dhelp' docs.

 The Xsession script ought to look for first `gnome-terminal' then
 `xterm' or for an `x-terminal' alternatives pseudo or something.

 I'd like to see the X task fire up XF86Setup or something like it.
 That would be better than the text-only interface.  Maybe it should
 ask which to use... debconf?  ... for headless file server installs,
 &c?