Re: RFC: NO, THE X SERVERS SHOULD NOT DEPEND ON XFONTS-BASE

    Branden> In a stressful time like freeze, it is really aggravating
    Branden> to deal with the nonstop trickle of people who tell me
    Branden> that because *THEIR* system is broken, I need to add a
    Branden> DEPENDENCY on xfonts-base to all the X servers, or to
    Branden> xserver-common.

I might be on the wrong foot here...

However, you already have a program that checks /etc/XF86Config for
errors before xdm starts (gdm doesn't use it, so I can't check).

Why not have this program check font paths, to ensure selected fonts
are installed? Any references to font servers can be ignored.

If the program finds a font path not installed, it could even suggest
the package name to install.

I think this might be useful for experienced users as well as
unexperienced.  There is only one problem: The user might deliberately
want a font path in XF86Config, even though the font isn't installed
(and I think this is done by xf86config by default). Not sure, perhaps
xset commands in xsession or something might be better, where it can
be done dynamically.

This may not be the right solution, but it is something you might want
to think about...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>