changes with 3.3.6?

Hi,
maybe this is not the right list to ask this, but the experts are here...

I have two "problems" with the recent X.

1. when I log on master or va and start mutt, I get a black+white mutt, not
the full colored one. I can set TERM to xterm-debian there and mutt works
again. I noticed that on several of non-debian machines, that they complain
about my TERM setting, are there some instructions I am missing?
I did have a problem with the home/end keys until yesterday, but that
one is no more, strange...

2. When I press Ctrl+Alt+F9 the whole system freezes. I dont want to try
again right now, that one killed my upgrade from slink to potato yesterday.
I was trying to edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to give me two X servers, one
with 8 bit and one with 16 bit. From the examples I thought I just use it as
it is there and I could access them with c+a+F9/F10, but it seems not so. I
found nothing in the docs (not been searching too much), do I have to set
anything else for two xservers?
Its not that important anymore, I found out that I have here 8MB video mem,
so I can run X in a high resolution with 32bit _and_ run framemaker on it
:-)
But the machine freezing makes me a little nervous...

Christian