Re: How do I get the TCP port back?

* Norbert Veber <nveber@certicom.com> [001213 13:28]:
> I while back during one of my upgrades, I read something about a new
> default -- X no longer listens on port 6000 for connections.  I didnt
> pay much attention at the time, but now it turns out that I need to have
> remote X clients connecting to my machine, and I cant figure out how to
> turn this back on! :)

<tasteless>Norbert; is working at certicom really like working for a
pointy-haired-boss, sadistic HR, etc?</tasteless>
<apologetic>I'm sorry; I had too.</apologetic>

You have two options. The best option is to use ssh(1)'s X tunnelling
feature. It isn't turned on by default with the debain ssh packages, but
if you trust both hosts, it is safe to turn on. (If you don't trust both
hosts, don't turn it on. :)

If, sadly, you can't use ssh's nifty features, then removing '-nolisten
tcp' from /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc will do the job.

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all
really impressed down here, I can tell you.''