Tracking XFree86 CVS on a Potato system

Dear all,

I've recently switched to a Debian system and I am wondering how to
track the XFree86 CVS version without wreaking havoc with the
packaging system.  I'm very happy with my Potato (2.2r2) system, and I
definitely don't want to upgrade libc.

(Just taking the opportunity to say how happy I am I did the switch.)

First of all, I'd like to know whether building Branden's packages on
a Potato system yields a usable version of XFree86.

Assuming that's indeed the case, I can see three options.  One would
be to build an empty package that requires nothing but provides all
the XFree86 packages that a Potato system needs.  Then build and
install from the XFree86 CVS sources without informing the package
system.  Yuck.

Another option would be to grab Branden's source packages, overwrite
the sources with the CVS version, build and install binary packages.
Finally, I could do the same with Charles Botha's packages.

Any other ideas?  Any good advice youse could give me?

Thanks a lot,

                                        Juliusz

P.S. no need to CC me if you reply to the list.