Re: XFree86 4.0.1 on PowerPC status update #2

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 07:47:16AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 07:00:13AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> >
> > However, unfortunately, some things in the XFree86 tree (the Wacom input
> > module, at least) build differently on kernel 2.4 systems than they do on
> > 2.2 systems.  More to the point, building xf86Wacom.c flat out fails on 2.4
> > boxen.
> >

> Would it solve the problem if you were using 2.4 kernel headers aswell as
> running a 2.4 kernel? If so, would that same build work on a 2.2 kernel?

Well, the problem is actually a little more fundamental.  There's a
couple things wrong:
 - Using the version of the running kernel is just bad form
 - This won't build on 2.4, period.  It uses enums for a constant
   defined in <linux/input.h> (BUS_PCI).  You just can't include the
   current <linux/input.h> in X source - not unless you go out of your
   way to undef some of its constants.
 - It assumes 2.4 has the header and 2.2 doesn't.  As of 2.2.18pre21,
   both do.

The input code is used only for the USB support.  If we want to keep
that, we're going to have to make it build.  What I would do:
 - #undef the necessary constants until it compiles
 - #define HasLinuxInput ON explicitly, instead of letting it default
   by the running kernel version.
 - Force OSMajorVersion and OSMinorVersion.  We could do this based on
   the installed headers, or based on the standard 2.2 kernel - both
   are pretty easy.

I can make a patch for this if you want.

Dan