locale names in glibc and XFree86

Some folks have been reporting problems of this kind:

Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

This happens because glibc's idea of canonical locale names differs from
XFree86's.  For instance, "en_US.iso-8859-1" is recognized by glibc but not
by XFree86.  XFree86 uses the following instead:

en_US.88591                                     en_US.ISO8859-1
en_US.88591.en                                  en_US.ISO8859-1
en_US.iso88591                                  en_US.ISO8859-1
en_US.ISO_8859-1                                en_US.ISO8859-1

Clearly, aliases for all recognized GNU libc locales are going to have to
be added to XFree86's locale.alias list.

I went looking in our libc6 packages for a list of canonical GNU locales,
but couldn't find one.

Ben, can you point me to one so I can write up a patch and send it upstream
before 4.0.2 is tagged?  This is pretty important for people who are choosy
about their locales.

(A good way of testing is to try the following in a POSIX shell:

LC_CTYPE= xmessage -file /etc/motd
LC_CTYPE=en_US.iso88591 xmessage -file /etc/motd
LC_CTYPE=en_US.iso-8859-1 xmessage -file /etc/motd
)

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Experience should teach us to be most on
Debian GNU/Linux               |    our guard to protect liberty when the