Re: [Xpert] stripping X server modules on Alpha makes them unusable

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Stuart may not be familiar with the vagaries of Debian packaging.

You're right, I'm not. Always meant to get to that, but still haven't.

> I build with debugging symbols enabled, but Debian Policy insists that they
> be stripped out when the package is generated.
>
> My completely uneducated guess is that something in module loader "knows"
> that debugging symbols are enabled and depends on this, so that when later
> this same code is run stripped, it becomes confused?

The loader normally ignores the debugging related ELF sections. Symbols
should be in a different section, which must be present, and isn't ignored.

Where is dh_strip invoked? I don't see it in the XFree86 config files, so
I'll assume it is run as part of te packagin process. Can it be told to
removing debugging section, but leave the regular symbols alone, or does
the policy require that all symbols be removed?

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
fax:   954.938.1982                              SkyTel: 800.405.3401
http://www.metrolink.com/