Re: Problems with several application when using special locale

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Seth Arnold wrote:

> * Drew Parsons <dparsons@emerall.com> [001205 05:09]:
> > I don't have any locale-gen file, config or executable.  Where does it come
> > from?
>
> locales

/etc/locales.gen, modify it by uncommenting the ones you need and then run
locale-gen...

But.. it doesn't help if your programs used to segfault (in my case rxvt
and licq with qt-plugin, works with gnome_gui though). I filed a bug
report against rxvt, but it got reassigned to libc6. Rxvt and its variants
use "setlocale"-function, which apparently is broken in libc6 v2.2.

On the other hand, every time you start a program (any program), you get a
warning (yep, I'm using Gnome too):

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

although the characters are printed correctly despite the warning. I'm
using fi_FI@euro ISO-8859-15 as the locale..

Rxvt used to work before 4.0.1-9 (segfaults after pasting text from
it etc), but won't even start anymore. Go figure.. ;-)

_______________/Timo Aaltonen <http://www.hut.fi/~tjaalton>
Work: Oy MyPortal International Ltd  GSM +358-40-5549 618