Re: sorry, I can't build 4.0.1-9pre10v1 for powerpc

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 12:17:39AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> My build box has a slight problem:
[...]
> Dec  3 16:17:14 eris kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for kswapd...
> Dec  3 16:17:16 eris kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for cc1...
> Dec  3 16:17:16 eris kernel: VM: killing process cc1
>
> This is reproducible.  It hits this wall on gamma_gl.c every time.

Yikes.  It turns out that my swap partition was never set up.  There was
a swap partition on the drive, but it hadn't been mkswap'ed or added to
/etc/fstab.

It took over 8 minutes of real CPU time to build that file, but my PowerPC
XF4 build lives again.

Thanks for the clue application.  I've always taken swap space for granted,
but this machine was set up 10 months ago and has only recently been
hitched to the plow...

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    The greatest productive force is human
Debian GNU/Linux                |    selfishness.