Re: sorry, I can't build 4.0.1-9pre10v1 for powerpc

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 12:24:35AM -0500, Eric Reischer wrote:
> Appears to be a memory/swap related problem.  Open up another tty and run
> 'top' while the make is going on, and watch your total free memory and your
> total free swap......they might get too small for cc to run
> successfully.  (VM is the virtual memory driver)

Tried that; I did some testing in real-time with the folks in
#debian-devel.  It appears to be a problem with the kernel VM handler
(perhaps ppc specific) in 2.2.18pre21.

Here are the machine's stats:

processor       : 0
cpu             : 601
clock           : 90MHz
revision        : 0.2
bogomips        : 89.99
zero pages      : total 0 (0Kb) current: 0 (0Kb) hits: 0/655 (0%)
machine         : Power Macintosh
motherboard     : AAPL,7300 MacRISC
memory          : 56MB
pmac-generation : OldWorld

56MB ain't a lot but it should be plenty for almost any compile.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    Q: How does a Unix guru have sex?
Debian GNU/Linux               |    A: unzip;strip;touch;finger;mount;fsck;