Re: XFree86 4 and vmware / DGA

[Do you ever have one of those days when it just isn't obvious what
quoting would be best to trim? This is one of those days. :]

* Johannes Zellner <johannes@zellner.org> [001203 13:20]:
> Hi,
>
> did anyone manage to run vmware-2 fullscreen with DGA
> on XFree86 4.x ? -- I get the vmware message:
>
>     Your X server does not support XFree86 DGA accelerated graphics
>     on your display hardware.  Full-screen SVGA mode will not have
>     acceleration.  You may be able to download an updated XFree86
>     server at "http://www.vmware.com/xfree86";.
>

> I've loaded the 'extmod' module and the 'dga' test
> program works nicely. I'm running a ATI 3D Rage LT Pro.

I think this boils down to a fairly simple explanation -- version
mismatch. vmware supports one version of DGA, which is also supported by
xf86 3.3.x, but xf86 4.0.x supports a different version of DGA.

Or, at least, this is how I understand the situation. :-/

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all
really impressed down here, I can tell you.''