User not authorized to run the X server?

On my quest to get a working X, I've encountered yet another
problem: doing startx as a normal user gives me the error message
mentioned in the subject.
Since my system always crashed hard before doing startx, I'm reluctant to
try it out as root ;-)
What did I overlook this time?

--

Wake now my merry lads!  Wake and hear me calling!
Warm now be heart and limb!  The cold stone is fallen;