From: "Wyss, Otto" <otto.wyss@csam.com>
To: "'branden@debian.org'" <branden@debian.org>
Subject: XFree 4.0.1-8 crashes my system completly, how can I retrieve
 inf ormation fora bug report
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:43:25 +0100

I have an uptodate woody (11/27/2000) with kernel 2.4.0-test11 (i386) using framebuffer support on an ATI Mach64. Now XFree 4.0.1-8 using fbdev (started with "startx") crashes my system so worse, that I neither can't switch to any console nor get a connection across the network (telnet, ping). All I can do to get out of a completly blank screen is pressing the hard reset button. My setup used to work with XFree 3.3.6 and kernel 2.4.0-test5. Now how do I retrieve any useful information after the restart of my system, so I can make a useful bug report? What else can I do to help resolve this crash, i.e. kernel with debug support?

Does my USB-keyboard/-mouse have an influence in this crash? Or is there any other package I might have to look at?

Could you provide my a bash script with all the necessary commands, since I'm not very used to X?

How do I install X so I could use/test version 3 and 4 through different startups (startx3/starx4)?

O. Wyss

PS. If you aren't the right person, could you please forward this message?

	---
	PPS. Sorry for the following text, I can't stop it :-(

- NOTICE -

This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the addressee named above.
No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or take
any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error
please delete it and any copies of it and notify CREDIT SUISSE ASSET MANAGEMENT
immediately.

except where the message specifically states otherwise and the sender is
authorized to state them to be the views of CREDIT SUISSE ASSET MANAGEMENT.

CREDIT SUISSE GROUP, CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON, and each legal entity in
the CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON or CREDIT SUISSE ASSET MANAGEMENT  business
units of CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON reserve the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
G. Branden Robinson            |
Debian GNU/Linux               |                It tastes good.