Re: IMPORTANT: the dotted box outline font problem

Hi,

(I am not subscribing debian-x.  Please Cc: debian-devel or me.)

At Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:06:35 -0500,
branden@deadbeast.net (Branden Robinson) wrote:

> It looks like some font names are underspecified.  If you request a
> font such as
>
>   -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-c-*-*
>
> then the first matching font will be selected; which font is the first
> depends on many factors, like the exact details of the hashing
> algorithm used in the server.
>
> In order to avoid that, you should more fully specify the font, saying
> something like:
>
>   -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-c-iso8859-1
>
> This change should be made either in the users resource database
> (xrdb, .Xdefaults, etc.), or in the application defaults files
> (XTerm.ad, etc.), depending on the exact setup that you're using.

I heard this uncertainty is important for non-Latin-1 people (though
this cannot be applied for miltibyte languages).
For example, Russian people change their font path in XF86Config
so that 'fixed' specifies KOI8-R font.  This is the easiest way to
change many many X softwares to work with KOI8-R font.

Of course the right way is to modify softwares to use XFontSet
instead of XFontStruct and be locale-sensible.

BTW, I think Xterm need modification that we can specify fonts
for Unicode mode separately from non-Unicode font.  At first,
I thought of suggesting modification of default fonts from
'fixed' to '-foobar-iso10646-1'.  Since iso10646-1 font is
upward-compatible to iso8859-1, it also works for Latin-1 mode.
However, I found this breaks the tricks Russian (and other
non-Latin-1 people) do.  However, I want Xterm in Unicode mode
to automatically select Unicode fonts...

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/