lockup when starting X

I'm sorry if I broke the thread, I'm not on the mailinglist.

Having said that I noticed the following on the list :

<emails>

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> [001101 21:16] wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 08:56:59AM +0100, Torbjörn Andersson wrote:
>> (By the way, my recent problems with X hanging at startup unless I
>> either install xfs or remove "unix/:7100" from the font path seem to
>> have gone away now. I don't know how or why. The CHANGELOG mentions a
>> recent "infinite loop problem that can show up on server resets" but
>> I don't know if that's even remotely related.)

> Hrm, as I understand it, if the X server doesn't find a font server there,
> it should drop that FPE (font path element) from the list and move on.
> Which, anecdotally, is what it seems to do for me.

> Can anyone else repro this problem?  Does the X server get hung up if it's
> looking for a font server that isn't there?

</emails>

Something like that. Well, I noticed the problem here too. Actually, I got my
X working because I read the mail mentioned above, which suggested it could
have to do with unix/:7100 being a fontpath element in my XF86Config-4. So I
removed the line and X worked ! :)

I'm running kernel 2.4.0-test8 and the first X4 packages that got into woody.

Besided that being fixed now, I experienced random crashes of my X with my
old configfile (that's why I wanted to try a new one). However, that
configfile was rather dirty, so I hope the problem is fixed now with this
fresh one :)

Greetz,

Jelmer Feenstra