Re: YAXF4SC (Yet Another XFree 4 Server Crash)

* Scott Fenton <sj12fn@raschke.net> [001104 20:15]:
> Found after configuring with dexter, the server dies with the message "failed to initalize core devices". Log file is attached

[...]

> (WW) System lacks support for changing MTRRs

[...]

Have you compiled MTRR support into your kernel? That may or may not
help performance.

[...]

> No core pointer

[...]

Take a look at the generated /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file -- my guess is
your mouse section is missing, or something similar. The following works
for my mouse, Logitech's cheapest three-button/wheel mouse:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Single"
	Screen "Screen0"
	InputDevice	"Mouse0" "CorePointer" # <-- you need a line like this
	InputDevice	"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice" # <-- and a whole section like this.
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
	Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

HTH

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all really
impressed down here, I can tell you.''